Statement: ILRS IN THE FACE OF THE ISRAELI-PALESTINIAN CONFLICT (May 2021)
The ILRS is particularly concerned about the conflict between Israelis and Palestinians, which has escalated in recent weeks. In view of this,
- It values the ceasefire, not as an end, but as an opportunity to re-establish conditions for dialogue between the parties.
- It regrets the civilian casualties inflicted on the Palestinian and Israeli populations after days of useless violence and destruction by Hamas and Israeli Army.
- ILRS is in favor of pressuring the Israeli Government to cease its policy of territorial expansion through settler settlements.
- It supports the international agreement to bring the parties involved to negotiate the proposal of the two States within 5 years.
- It supports a special status for the city of Jerusalem as a symbol of civil peace and interreligious dialogue under the protection of the UN.
- It calls on the leaders of the Jewish, Muslim and Christian religions with common historical roots such as Abrahamic religions to be active promoters of respect, coexistence and peace in the region.
Finally, our position on anti-Semitism. We reject the attack on Jewish buildings and people in Europe. We also condemn anti-Semitism, as a form of xenophobia and intolerable discrimination against Jews. However, we understand that it is not anti-Semitic, but legitimate and democratic, to denounce the policy of the Israeli government and the so-called settler movements and their political parties for illegal territorial expansions and land occupations to expand the territory of the previous state.
ILRS Executive Committee, May 21st, 2021.